Tonight is the last night of Let’s Go Northeast ’13. We had a great time exploring the open road, but it is time to return to our everyday lives. We love those lives, but we also love our crazy adventures. As we think back over the past ten days, these are some highlights that we will not soon forget.
1) Visiting the “Why Picture Books Matter” exhibit at the New York Public Library.
2) Having an amazing lunch in Camden overlooking the harbor.
3) Chatting with a friendly bookseller at Books of Wonder.
4) Walking back to our inn in Bar Harbor and having every streetlight and every light within blocks suddenly turn off.
5) Giving away 6 copies of The One and Only Ivan, five Babymouse volumes, Boy + Bot, Flora and the Flamingo, Sidekicks, eleven Babymouse dolls, and four picture books.
6) Threatening to destroy the GPS for giving us wrong directions only to realize what we were looking for was right in front of us and was merely poorly marked.
7) Visiting The Children’s Bookstore and a branch of the Baltimore Public LIbrary system.
8) Enjoying lunch at Jordan Pond in Acadia National Park.
9) Photographing our shoes with Mister Rogers’ sneakers.
10) Deciding to visit Randyland, a fascinating folk art installment in Pittsburgh, PA.